Sunday, November 12, 2017

Charity and Forgiveness.

"We must speak no ill of anyone. We must see the good in each other and speak well of each other whenever we can." -David O. McKay. 


I love that...But I stink at it sometimes! I don't always want to speak 'well' of others...I get frustrated and I guess, I am just not always kind. Shame on me!

*Darn it!*

"The Apostle Paul was telling us how to love in a world of imperfect people, including ourselves, when he said, "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" -1 Corinthians 13:4-5. And then he gave solemn warning against reacting to the fault of others and forgetting our own when he wrote, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as I am known" -1 Corinthian 13:12."-Marriage and Family relationships study guide. (Most of what I quote in this blog post, will be from this study guide)

"To vaunt is to proudly call attention to our possessions, our accomplishments, our associations, or our righteousness. To illustrate this fault, the Savior told the parable of the Pharisee and the publican-See Luke 18:10-13, 14.

"One of the most serious forms of "Vaunting" is the sin of pride. "Pride is a 'My Will' rather than 'Thy Will' approach to life." Says president Ezra Taft Benson. "The opposite of pride is humbleness, meekness, submissiveness (See Alma 13:28), or teachableness. With Pride, there are many curses. With humility, there come many Blessings." 

-I searched the word 'Vaunteth' on Safari, and the second link was to LDS.Org. I was directed to 'The Visiting Teacher', March 1988. (Good Stuff)

So come to find out...

I am no perfect soul...Wait, What? Yeah...I am pretty darn human.

However, I am a determined one. I am pretty determined to beat the odds and to come out stronger than ever-Not just with my relationship with the Adorable one and my children, but with anyone I come in contact with. 

Funny thing-Strangers are so much easier to get along with than family members...WHY? (I am being sarcastic, but there is some truth to this! And really...WHY?)

I have a desire to be better. And I am learning, that it isn't as easy as I thought it would be...You know...To be better! To be kinder. To forgive...I can ask for forgiveness...Just ask anyone, I say 'Sorry' constantly...But to forgive, I thought it was something that was simple. It just isn't some times...But it is a must.

Sooo...

I have been reading about relationships and marriage... Along with addictions and mental illness's...To add to the reading I have been, praying, and pondering, and focusing, and STRUGGLING, and realizing so many different things, with receiving, the most precious, and comforting feeling of knowing and understanding...People are simply human beings, just as I am...And just as I am, people are longing for peaceful happy lives. We all just have some different views on how to accomplish this. But something that we ALL have to do is, be forgiving.

One thing that I have learned the last 3 years or so...Forgiveness is necessary to feel peace and happiness. And this goes for all of us. Some may say, "I am just fine. I don't need to forgive, nor do I need to ask for forgiveness..." Or they simply say, "I will forgive as soon as 'SO AND SO' comes and says sorry and changes." This only leads to a life of bitterness-Even if you don't think you are holding onto bitterness, it is funny how quickly you recognize it when something is said or done to remind you of what has happened that caused the icky bitterness in the first place...Whatever you feel toward that 'SO AND SO', will become heavy...And as I have come to learn, a whole lot of joy is missed out on..AND...all those who are around you-they get to feel all of that saltines that you have-it will take joy away from them, the ones you love, as well. 

Forgiveness, is so important. Not only to forgive is important, but to ask for forgiveness. To recognize the things we may say or do that just might hurt someone else. It isn't easy to always recognize the things that we do to hurt others. Most of the time we are so full of that 'Saltiness' that we really can not see, that we too, caused damage along that lonely, miserable path of heartache and pain.

Quoting!!

"How difficult it is for any of us to forgive those who have injured us. We are all prone to brood on the evil done us. That brooding becomes as a gnawing and destructive canker. Is there a virtue more in need of application in our time than the virtue of forgiving and forgetting? There are those who would look upon this as a sign of weakness. Is it? I submit that it takes neither strength nor intelligence to brood in anger over wrongs suffered, to go through life with a spirit of vindictiveness, to dissipate one's abilities in planning retribution. There is no peace in the nursing of a grudge. There is no happiness in living for the day when you can "Get even." Paul speaks of "the weak and beggarly elements" of our lives (See Galatians 4:9). Is there anything more weak or beggarly than the disposition to wear out one's life in an unending round of bitter thoughts and scheming gestures toward those who may have affronted us? 

Not forgiving others can simply lead to loneliness and recrimination-and yes, Bondage. And really, it isn't worth it.

Quote!

"If there be any who nurture in their hearts the poisonous brew of enmity toward another, I plead with you to ask the Lord for strength to forgive. This expression of desire will be of the very substance of your repentance. It may not be easy, and it may not come quickly. But if you will seek it with sincerity and cultivate it, it will come. And even though he whom you have forgiven continues to pursue and threaten you, you will know you have done what you could to effect a reconciliation. There will come into your heart a peace otherwise unattainable. That peace will be the peace of him who said:

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you: "But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses"-Matthew 6:14-15." 

During my reading, it asked us to read Luke chapter 15. We are all familiar with the Prodigal son. 

It says, "I ask you to read that story. Every parent ought to read it again and again. It is large enough to encompass every household, and enough larger than that to encompass all mankind, for are we not all prodigal sons and daughters who need to repent and partake of the forgiving mercy of our Heavenly Father and then follow his example? 

His Beloved Son, our Redeemer, reaches out to us in forgiveness and mercy, but in so doing he commands repentance." 

"Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me" -D&C 19:15-18,23.

"Such is the commandment, and such is the promise of Him who, in his great exemplary prayer, pleaded, "Father, Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors". -Matthew 6:9, 12.

 **Just a little bit more quoted from the study guide...Sorry! It is just to good not to share!!**

"Let us bind up the wounds-oh, the many wounds that have been caused by cutting words, by stubbornly cultivated grievances, by scheming plans to "Get Even" with those who may have wronged us. We all have a little of this spirit of revenge in us. Fortunately, we all have the power to rise above it, if we will "Clothe ourselves with the bond of CHARITY, as with a mantle, which is the bond 

of perfectness and peace" -D&C 88:125.

"To err is human, to forgive divine"-Alexander Pope. There is no peace in reflecting on the pain of old wounds. There is peace only in repentance and forgiveness. This is the sweet peace of the Christ, who said, "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God" -Matthew 5:9"

It is simply to heavy and hard to carry a grudge. It is also simple to say, that you have forgiven...Just to continue to get salty if things that have hurt you in the past get brought up or you happen to see that 'SO AND SO'. In this case, true forgiveness has not happened. 

It is easy to ignore others. It is easy to just stop going to church and quit doing the things that we know would help us to forgive (Or really, just help us to get through this crazy life)-Reading the scriptures, praying, going to the temple, going to church, or doing whatever it is that you believe in. It really is simple to just try to change our life styles...Thinking that if we do so, all will be ok. NOPE! It will always linger. There will always be that little bit of resentment or bitterness that remains in your heart.

Letting go is super tough. Rising above it all, takes effort and consistency. The world speaks in volumes. There is no hiding from struggles-or people. Who wants to hide for real though? *I do go and hide in the bathroom from time to time-but I think that is normal...It is my get away. :O)* But for real though-What joy is to be found alone, hiding? We were not meant to be alone.

The world speaks in volumes-What are you listening to? We can choose.

Charity, is the pure Love of Christ. I truly do want to have that..."Charity Suffereth Long and is Kind".  

Again, I am super human!! *Not, 'SuperHuman'...Silly! I fail daily.* 

It is a work in progress. Daily effort of 'Carrying on' after falling and getting back up again...Several times.

As for Forgiving others...I am simply working on it. My goal for the next week, is to see the good in others and to speak kinder. *It is a Goal!*

When all said and done and at the end of the day, I know where to turn for peace and also for guidance. I am so thankful for prayer-I don't know if I could conquer my shortcomings and trials without a little help from above.

To all those who are harboring hard feelings...Set a small goal, to find a way to forgive-Let it go! Life is going to keep moving forward. Will you move with it, or be stuck holding onto things that can't be changed or taken back. I try to remind myself of all the times I have been forgiven by others, to many to count. 

We ALL make mistakes. Just take a minute and think about the times you have been forgiven...It really does open your eyes.

Before I end this post...I wanted to make sure that everyone knows how truly thankful I am for all the many blessings in my life. From my socks that keep my broken toe warm, the toothbrush that keeps my teeth clean, the washer that keeps on washing, to my eyes that allow me to see the sunrises and sunsets *and also the Adorable Ones eyes...Simply gorgeous!*. I am thankful for our ducks and chickens that brighten my day. My children who keep me standing up straight. To the love of my life that I want to strangle...I mean hug real tight, who continues to work hard at being a better man each day. I am just thankful for so much. I have a wonderful crazy life...I am thankful for our Savior Jesus Christ and for a very loving and forgiving Father in Heaven...I am thankful for my parents who I appreciate so much and could kick myself in the butt for being such a brat growing up. My heart if full of gratitude for EVERYTHING. The sun, the moon and the stars....I am BLESSED! 

Now, go on and Forgive that 'SO AND SO'.



No comments:

Post a Comment