Friday, November 2, 2012

Month of Thanks #2

Today I am thankful for our Washer n Dryer.
Our Washer n Dryer are going nearly ALL day...Nearly every day!
The washer washes when the loads are light, but also when they are large and heavy*more heavy than light!*. The Dryer dry's as fast and as hot as it can. There are not very many times that I have to restart a load because it did not get dry enough. They keep working, even after I have already done 5 loads of laundry...They will do what they are suppose to, as soon as I push the button. They are die hards!
This may seem a bit silly, but I have gone without a washer n dryer. I have gone to the laundry mat for weeks, taking little ones with me. It was not an easy task! I have become very spoiled by these to appliances. They make my life that much easier...They are convenient!


Looks like they are heating the water for the laundry over a fire....
Back in the day, women did the laundry the tough way...When we have stayed out at the family cabin, I have done laundry that way. Wash them on a scrubbing board, ran them through a wringer and than hung them out to dry. I have to admit that it kinda made me feel good that I at least knew how to do laundry without the 'Washer n Dryer'. I know that I would survive.



I remember staying at my Grandma Reed's house and she would do her laundry, and I would help her hang the laundry out on the line. She lived in Mesa AZ, so the weather was usually perfect. What in the world did women do back in the old day, when it was cold and snowing or raining?? Wow! WE are a spoiled generation.
Looks like a windy day! You know you feel a bit spoiled!

These are very similar to the ones that I have! My washer has a huge tub! With a big family, big washers are a must! Again...Spoiled!! We only have a few kids compared to how many kids women used to have way back when-12+. Goodness! When I think about how much work went into laundry back then...Our ancestors are laughing at us!

So today I am thankful and do not take for granted, Our Washer n Dryer!!



By the way...
I think I wouldn't mind having the old fashion Washer with a line out back...I think it is something I want to look into. During the summer, I could do some laundry outdoors, and show my 'KIDS' not just my daughters, how to REALLY do laundry! It would also save on our utility bills :O)
I don't think I will ever replace and go to the 'Old Fashioned' Way of doing laundry...But, it would be nice to have a back up!
I think I want to also start looking into making our own laundry soap...I know people who do it! Just need to quick being lazy and look into it.
Smiles!

5 comments:

  1. Toi, I have looked at reciepes for laundry detergent and it is easy and cheap. The 19and counting family (I forget their last name) have a website and give their reciepe. Good Luck. Oh and I agree, I am thankful for my washer and dryer too!! Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The Duggers. They have really good idea's and recipes as well.
      I really do want to make my own soap...Just need to get with it.

      Delete
  2. I do remember how wringer washer and put rubber diapers through that wringer diapers and explodes and I ruined a couple of shirts,
    Did you jams and untangling clothes or ruined a couple of shirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne...I didn't have any trouble. No clothes were ruined...I was very new at trying it, so I took my time. I have heard that fingers have been lost in the wringers...That made me nervous. Still rather interested in learning more about doing clothes in a cheaper way!
      Smiles :O)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete